Saturday, November 21, 2009

Nutrition.

Current: I started just eating when I was hungry. I wasn't eating more or less to manipulate calories. That ended up in leaving me with 1100 calories a day on average. So this week (Week of November 16th 2009) I started force-feeding myself 1300 calories a day. We'll see how it goes. I'm not adverse to upping it more while I find what's a good number for me. I want to gain muscle (that's another post) and 1100 isn't going to cut it (and 1300 probably won't either).

I record what I eat just for completeness sake, not to advise people to eat how I eat. For one thing, I don't eat vegetables. I have tried and I have failed. So I'm not setting out to eat as healthy as possible, I'm eating as healthy as I personally can with who I am and what I have.

I try to keep at 20-40-40 more or less. I don't try to hit exactly to the point of calculating it. I'm also not a low-carb person. I'm a try-to-balance-it-out person. If I get excited over 4g carb yogurt (!!!!) it's because I can add it to my diet without greatly unevening already-balanced values.

I try to eat small meals throughout the day, and try to start the day with my shake. Since I don't eat vegetables, I drink something called http://www.shakeology.com/gatordeb1 I'm not here to peddle supplements but if you go and you like it and you want to buy it, there's my link :) It's supposed to have a day's worth of nutrients that you'd get from a day's servings of vegetables, which is my own personal reason for taking it. I'm making another post with shake recipes. The website has nutritional breakdown for the powder.

I don't have weekly cheat days, I have a cheat day when the urge hits (as long as it's not more than once a week), but in the past 20 weeks I've had 2 cheat days, one with a pizza (2240 calories) and another one with a meatball sub at Subway (1200 calories).

Some stuff that helps:
- Sugar-free Jello - add small amount of calories without adding anything else (i.e. fat and carbs), helpful when you are trying to reach a number but not exceed it by much. 10 calories a cup. Need 70 calories? Eat 7 SFJ.
- Egg whites - tons of protein and not a lot of everything else
- Skinless boneless chicken tenderloins - at 110 calories per 4 oz, one of the leanest cuts.
- 96% fat-free ground beef
- Kroger Carbsmasters Yogurt - 4g of carbs, 80 calories - add calories and fill yourself up without loading up on carbs

When it comes to specific products, there's two I couldn't live without:
- Flatout Bread Light - http://www.flatoutbread.com - 9g fiber, 90 calories. I put a bunch of stuff in it. Sauce and cheese. Chicken. Beef. Just cheese. Very versatile.
- Vita-tops muffin tops and brownies - http://www.vitalicious.com - 100 calories, around 5-6g of fiber, good for a snack. Low in fat (~.5-2g).

I only drink water and milk, and milk is usually 4-8 oz a day max.

No comments:

Post a Comment