Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dizziness and vertigo (August 2010 - Present)

During the last couple of days of July and first couple of days in August 2010 I was at Camp Do More, Chalene Johnson's camp full with workouts, fashion, and talks.  I was in the middle of the loss I talked about last post and this helped a lot in healing, especially the talks.  It was like every talk was directed towards me and the situation. I was also able to talk about it to my trip companion at length and just being able to talk about it helped start the healing process.

I got sick during camp and by the last day I wasn't even going to the workouts.  From the hotel there I joined a 60 Days to Diamond group (long story, Beachbody related) but the important thing is that I underwent a three-day cleanse of 800 calories a day.  And it was then that I learned that my body doesn't respond well to cleanses or low-calorie.  I need FOOD.  But it was around that time that the dizziness and vertigo started, and to this day it hasn't let up.  It comes and goes, I have good days and bad days (today is a bad, no exercise day) and I've had to control food in order to still met my goals, eat enough, and not exercise some days.

I had blood tests drawn and my doctor said I was hypoglycemic (59 fasting) and told me to eat more and exercise less.  A doctor actually told me to eat more and exercise less.  How many times do you hear doctors say that?  And say that TO ME.  It's absurd, and if you had told me that 16 months ago I wouldn't have believed you.

But I didn't want to do that so I modified what I ate and have the episodes under control for the most part, and my down days are few and far apart.  And the good days are GOOD.  So I pretty much show up and give it my all and on days without vertigo or dizziness I'm like a kid in a candy store when I exercise because I get full use of my body.  I used to say that I was lucky that my body followed me everywhere.  It doesn't anymore.  But I still follow my credo:  Do what you can, when you can.  And when I can, I enjoy the hell out of it.

I'm still undergoing tests to see what's going on.  Work in progress.  I've had to become my own advocate and research and go back with test codes so that the doctor can write me lab slips.  This whole journey has made me a bit more assured of myself.

So on dizzy days I stay home and read or watch TV (I can't even get out of bed, I stumble standing up).  And I rest and sleep.  And on good days I work out 2-4 hours.  I still go to group classes but I take it down instead of up.  What I can, when I can.

Most of the time if I don't turn or bend over I can take a group class without much difficulty, and I found I can take spin while sick or dizzy just by holding on very tight to the handlebars to keep me on top of the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment